the man behind THE MAN

Friday, November 24, 2006

Geek speak (Trojans)

I hate trojans just like everyone else but I'm impressed with the creative ways people come up with to hijack a PC. Tonight I zapped one off my PC that took on the name svchost.exe. It used a directory called !submit to send passwords and other information about my system over the internet through a background running program. Nothing too exciting there, but I'm impressed that it protected itself by disabling the Windows Task Manager. This made it extremely hard to tell if I had a trojan running. In fact, I never would have known that I was hit if it wasn't for the !submit directory. Good show you piece of shit hackers.

Other impressive trojans I've caught:

- Mapped google.com to a different web address that looked exactly like google, but prevented any searches about the trojan running.

- Ran two processes and anytime you deleted one, the other would re-start the killed process.

- Renamed itself to a different random process name on startup.

- And the best I've ever seen, VX2. Some how the creator figured out a loop hole in Windows XP that allowed his program to load as a system level process. It used to be, and might still be, a huge pain in the ass to kill a system level process in Windows XP. If I ever meet you, Mr. VX2 creator, I'm applauding you and then punching you in the groin. You fucking costing me an entire weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home